Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Dear Dad,

It's your birthday.  A December 12 will never go by without many of your loved ones thinking about you and shedding tears.  You'd be 57 this year.  I was just thinking the other day about how you were only 43 when you received your diagnosis of ALS, a death sentence.  I was away at college and missed seeing first hand how everyone reacted to the news.  I can't imagine how I would deal with news like that, knowing that my life would be cut short and that I wouldn't be able to watch all of my kids grow into adulthood.  I know that you remained strong, that you fought to live, that you did everything you could to live each day as fully as you were able.  I can't even type this now, nine years after your death without feeling tears run down my face.  You were a man who loved people and were loved in return.  I'm so thankful for the time that I had with you, that you were able to wheel down the aisle next to me on my wedding day to "present" me to my husband (because you said you weren't "giving me away"), and that you reached and surpassed your goal of living until your 25th wedding anniversary.  I was able to tell you that you would be a grandpa, although it will always sadden me that you never met her or any of your grandsons.  You loved kids and I can imagine the kind of grandfather that you would have been.  My kids know all about you, and they love to visit the cemetery where you are buried.  Zeke has often said, "I can't wait to go to Heaven so that I can meet Grandpa Zeke."  I'm glad that you had the faith that you did and that we all know without a doubt that you are in Heaven right now and that we will be reunited with you someday.  People say that the pain of losing someone goes away with time, and others say that they're wrong, that it never lessens.  I would say that the pain becomes more dull, but that when you least expect it, it's as sharp as ever.  We've all moved on with our lives, but after losing you long before we were ready, we've been left with a gaping hole in our hearts.  God had bigger plans for you, and even though I may never understand why, your death was part of His perfect plan.  Thanks for being the best dad a girl could have.

                                                   Love ya Zeker,

                                                          "Lulubelle"

5 comments:

  1. That's amazing Kel. I wish I had been able to meet him. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are thinking of all of you today. Thank you for this sweet post. Brought tears to my eyes. Love you all, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written, Kelli.....We, too, loved him dearly. Brianna always said that Uncle Ken was her favorite. Lots of tears. Love you, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete