Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A 5k and a Tear-jerker

I was nervous about running a 5k on Saturday for several reasons.

-It was only my second ever
-I hadn't prepared as well as I should have
-My calves were incredibly sore from my little jaunt up Bunker Hill Monument two days prior
-The course was described as very hilly

On the positive side:

-I woke up feeling rested after being able to sleep in a bed following two nights on a floor in a sleeping bag
-The weather was pretty much perfect
-There would be walkers that I would blend in with if I couldn't run the whole thing
-Several of my friends were there which was sure to make everything more enjoyable.

Becky, Carie, Christa, me, Melissa, Sarah, Julia


I still don't have any idea what my time was, and I don't have a fancy Garmin to track my pace and all of that, but none of that really matters to me at this point.  I was able to run/jog the whole thing (which was actually 3.4 miles, not 3.1), including the hills, and felt really good afterwards.  I did cramp up during the second mile but was able to breathe it away. 


Unlike the 5k I did in March of 2011, I didn't quit running immediately following the race.  I've run another several miles on my own since Saturday.  Hopefully I keep it up this time!

Now, for the tear-jerker.  This video is an iMovie that my little sister made for an education class final.  She just completed her freshman year in college and has made more than a few folks cry with this video.  Enjoy.  (I can't get it embedded into Blogger, but the link above will take you to her Facebook page.  Hopefully you don't have to be friends with her to see it!)






2 comments:

  1. Excellent job on the 5k, but even better that you ran again since! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Let's run again soon, you too Mrs. Goose!! I watched Dolly's video, a definite tearjerker and I never met your dad..

    ReplyDelete