Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Green Smoothies

I finally tried a "green smoothie" and I liked it.

I had found some recipes for them, and they all called for things that I had never bought (almond milk???).  Then my friend Julia made me one with no very little weird stuff in it, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.  Now I make my own, almost daily, and I'm a huge fan.  I recommend staying away from scary "green smoothie" recipes and following something simple like this one:

A handful of fresh baby spinach leaves
A bunch of fruit (fresh and/or frozen)
A little water
Blend it up!

That's it, super easy.  I've also added protein powder ('cause Julia gave me some and says it's good for me) but haven't actually purchased any.  She also adds ground flax which sounds like a good idea but I haven't bought any of that either.

I've tried them with a variety of fruits (banana, strawberries, apples, mangos, pineapples, raspberries, blueberries, grapes) and they've been good every time.  The consistency depends on how much water you add and if there is anything with seeds in it.  My favorite so far was spinach, banana, frozen strawberries, and frozen pineapple.  Yum!

One of my hang ups was getting the blender out and dealing with cleaning it.  Now it just sits on my counter and if I clean it up immediately after I use it, it's no big deal.

By the way, my smoothies are rarely green.


1 comment: