Thursday, May 19, 2011

Fresh Air Fund

"Since 1877, The Fresh Air Fund has been giving inner-city children the joy of a summer vacation with volunteer host families and at Fund camps, creating unforgettable memories and fresh possibilities."

When I was growing up here in rural Vermont, some of my younger friends had Fresh Air sisters. Kristin had Latoya, and Micah had Felicia. I only had brothers at the time and really wanted a Fresh Air sister, but because my mom worked long hours as a nurse, and my dad was often busy in the fields or the barn, we were never able to invite a Fresh Air child to stay with us. Even then, I hoped to have the chance to be a host mom as an adult.

Ryley is 7 now, and like me at that age, she doesn't have a sister. When I mentioned having a Fresh Air sister this summer, she was definitely on board and stayed on my case about contacting someone. This week, we filled out the applicaton and interviewed with the Fresh Air Fund coordinator in this area who also happens to be the mom of one of my students. Being home in the summer gives me the perfect opportunity to participate in this program. We plan on hosting for 10 days in August and are looking forward to hearing about the little girl that we've been matched with! I'm praying that we are matched with a child that will blend into our family fairly smoothly, and that we can continue inviting the same child year after year and create a lasting relationship with her. The Fresh Air Fund is looking for many more host families for this summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment