Sunday, October 17, 2010

Making Strides

Today I participated in my first-ever "Making Strides Against Breast Cancer" event. I walked for (and with) my friend, Christa, who was first diagnosed with breast cancer five years ago when she was only 29. Our friend Helena and I drove up to the event and met Christa, her mom, and her little nephew there. It was windy and cold, soggy and muddy, and wonderful. I had never seen so many people wearing PINK. Because of the cool temps, I had several layers on; most were a shade of pink. It was emotional for all of us seeing Christa take her place on the stage with all of the other survivors. For five miles we planned for next year, how Christa should have her own team, how we would fundraise, what we would wear, and as we planned, the sun came out, we ditched a few layers, and we enjoyed m&m's and Ben & Jerry's ice cream at stations along the way. It felt great physically to do the walk AND mentally, knowing that we were doing it to help make a "world with more birthdays."

1 comment: