Tuesday, February 28, 2012

To Boston and Back

On Friday, my mom and I took a quick trip to Boston.  I've only been to Boston thrice (if that's not a word, it should be) in my life.  I went with my brother and aunt at about age ten on an educational trip, with my class in 7th grade, and then about 9 years ago with JD and his family.  The reason for this trip was to scope things out for the class trip that I will be taking with my students in May.  This will be the first time I've headed up a trip like this and I want to know what I'm doing and where I'm going when I have ten kids belonging to other people depending on me.

We had bought tickets for the megabus six weeks ago ($36.50 round trip for both of us) and rented a hotel room about half a mile from South Station.  Our trip from Burlington to Boston went smoothly.  We left on time and arrived in Boston before our ETA.  The bus was a no-frills double-decker with reclining seats, a bathroom, and wi-fi.  We sat in the upper deck, and between a sandwich from Subway, wi-fi and my iPod touch, and my nook, I was all set.  Upon arrival, we walked (through Chinatown) to our hotel which was located in the Theater District.  Next, we found the nearest T (subway station) and made our way to the Museum of Science where my class and I will be spending the night.  By then, it was raining.  We took the T to Union Oyster House for a quick dinner at America's oldest restaurant.  I was chilled to the bone, it was dark and wet, and we didn't know (yet) where any nice warm shopping places were, so we headed back to the hotel.  I read an entire book before going to sleep.

On Saturday, we walked to the beginning of the Freedom Trail and made our way to most of the sites on it.  It was chilly and windy, but not horrible considering it's February.  We visited old cemeteries, churches, meeting houses, and Paul Revere's home.  We didn't make it over the river to Bunker Hill Monument and the USS Constitution, but I feel comfortable enough now leading the kids through the city.  We did take a detour when we saw a TJMaxx, Marshall's, and H&M just off of the brick line that signified the Freedom Trail.  The only things I bought were two shirts for JD at H&M (He has one from there that is the same style and he wears it all of the time.  I might be a little sick of it.).  After checking out of the hotel at noon, we took the T to the Prudential Center and had lunch and cheesecake (Key lime) at The Cheesecake Factory.  Then it was back to the bus station.  We had a late start and were caught in a snow storm for awhile, but made it home safe and sound.

 Massachusetts State House

 Granary Burying Ground

 "Mother Goose"

Marker by Paul Revere's Tomb 

 Pennies on Revere's marker???



 Old State House, Site of Boston "Massacre"

 Peace Garden with dog tags representing those lost in battle since 9/11

Old North Church

The kids were at JD's mom's on Friday and spent the day with JD on Saturday.  We got some snow at home while I was gone, not enough to plow, but enough for the kids to play in.  I received this text video on the way home:




On Sunday, JD convinced me to head outside with the kids:






No comments:

Post a Comment